I really don’t like making resolutions because I’m not very good at keeping them. This year however, I have a fool-proof plan. Yes, I want to lose a few pounds and be more active. I also want my kids to spend more time outdoors and less time in front of a screen. And alone-time with my spouse would be a miracle. I need a family vacation to fit with my New Year goals. The answer is ‘Tween Waters Inn.
A family vacation to ‘Tween Waters Inn makes keeping resolutions easy. For exercise, there is a fitness center with state-of-the-art equipment. The view is inspiring because it overlooks the pool (bikini bod encouragement?). But think outside of the box, and get your exercise in along the shore. Walk to the left and in two miles you’ll be at Blind Pass, where Sanibel and Captiva meet. It’s also a popular shelling spot. Round trip takes about 90 minutes. (Sometimes I call for a ride back!) Walk right, and you’ll end up at Redfish Pass. This is where Captiva and North Captiva go their separate ways. Again, 90 minutes round trip…and what a peaceful journey.
For the more active, there are tennis courts; rent a one- or two-person kayak and paddle the scenic back bay mangroves in search of wildlife like manatees or dolphin; the pool is heated so you can swim year-round in comfort; yoga on the beach is always a nice treat; and you can rent bikes onsite. I’d better make a reservation at The Spa at ‘Tween Waters to soothe my rarely used muscles. A couples’ massage would check off the last item on my list. Yes, I definitely resolve to vacation at ‘Tween Waters Inn. Come and join me, the weather is perfect.
‘Staying cool’ around the resort when the sunshine is bright — is a vital skill or perhaps, even an art.
Many ‘Tween Waters Inn guests on Captiva Island visiting Southwest Florida have ‘sunshine’ at the top of their list for ‘why’ they travel here to spend their spare time. With so many things to do outdoors my husband, Eric and I know first-hand how easy it is to get too much sun, too fast and find ourselves looking for places and things to do while we cool down a little bit.
Consider some of these good ideas offered from my own personal experience, for staying cooler around the resort from morning until sunset:
- Walk through the lush vegetation areas to get around the resort and stay cool under shady trees and roof lines.
- Visit the pool early morning or late afternoon when temps are the coolest all day and it’s the perfect time to start a tan.
- Pack and wear your stylish hats, or pick up a new ones in the Pelican’s Roost Boutique near the dock entrance of the Marina.
- Umbrella spots beside the pool are more likely to be open when the pool deck is less busy and the sun is lower in the sky.
- Morning is the time to reserve a shady chaise on the beach and to simply take it easy hanging out beside the sand and surf.
- Wear shorts, skirts, light fabrics, t-shirts and sandals anytime, anywhere and dress up only if it suits your beachwear fancy.
- Remember that the Oasis Pool Bar offers a shady spot all day where you can chill, sip cold drinks, make friends and sit beside the pool.
- It’s also the place to enjoy lunch or order it ‘to go’ and take lunch back to your air-conditioned room, suite or cottage you call home.
- Early afternoon is a favorite time to relax on your private lanai where the temps are cooler when the sun is high in the sky.
- Schedule favorite Spa appointments dedicated to your complete comfort and relaxation after you’ve been outside in the morning.
- Afternoons are traditionally the tropical time for a brief siesta or nap when the temps are always the hottest outdoors all day.
- Later in the day take your time exploring the quiet back bay waters paddling a rented canoe or kayak through the mangroves.
- Make a reservation at the Captiva House restaurant first thing and look forward all day to a memorable dinner right around sunset.
- After dinner share a night cap or even an impromptu fiesta at the Crow’s Nest Beach Bar & Grille next door where having fun is popular.
- Make it a habit in the evening to take a stroll down to the beach before bed when it’s cool, breezy and the sand is lit by the moon.
At ‘Tween Waters Inn when you get over heated you have the Gulf of Mexico waters and the resort pool to cool down in anytime. Then you can take it easy while you make a decision about what to do next.
Most importantly, stay cool and enjoy!
Thinking back over the years, my time spent staying in a cottage almost anywhere was a treat! The ‘Tween Waters cottages are all one-of-a-kind. Originally constructed in the 1930’s, they are fully refurbished and individually appointed to ensure a special, beachfront holiday for all of the guests who stay in them today.
The setting, poised between the Gulf of Mexico beach on Captiva Island on one side and the serene, back bay boating waters on the other, enhances their cottage charm even more. Imagine… Nice huh?!
There are nineteen different cottages, painted in cheerful, tropical colors dotted around the resort. The size and room layouts range from one room to three bedroom and they have beautiful baths and convenient kitchen amenities. Some have screened in porches, others have sunny decks and they have all the comforts of a cottage home you will love.
- Consider the Osprey two bedroom, the Heron one bedroom or the Pelican one bedroom overlooking the beachside of the resort with a view of the Gulf and just steps away from the sand. There are three, gulf front cottage groups that are perfect for multiple parties, too.
- The Jasmine one bedroom or the Tarpon three bedroom are located on the east side of the resort where they look over the back bay waters and the picturesque, ‘Tween Waters Marina.
- Sitting be’tween the water on either side, you’ll find the shadiest cottages that are also closest to the pool. They share a lush courtyard, outdoor love seat swing, and they are named for the tropical plants and trees that make this spot around the resort so special: the Frangipani, Bougainvillea, Orchid, and Jasmine.
After you check them all out, you’ll see for yourself how delightful and different staying in one of the cottages will be on your next trip. Make your reservations early for the historically popular and world-famous cottage you prefer!
I can tell you without a doubt, I will. Summertime in Florida is the perfect time for a shady cottage near the pool or one that is only steps from the beach and salty water. Most importantly, get ready to enjoy…
At the end of almost any day, but everyday at ‘Tween Waters Inn it’s time to relax and enjoy the evening.
My husband and I are usually ready for a cold drink, cold beer, a fine wine or favorite cocktail after being on the beach and around the resort during the day. When we’re visiting we look forward to having dinner together, along with a few evenings out sharing a little fun. Best of all, the entertainment we’re looking for is conveniently located right at the resort.
At night the ‘Tween Waters Inn is all about The Crow’s Nest… where we sample great food, drinks and entertainment. We count on spending lots of time at the popular …Beach Bar & Grille. Around the Islands it’s simply called the Crow’s Nest. As a local, I know firsthand that many memorable evenings have been made enjoying live music and drinks “at the Crow’s Nest on Captiva Island” for special occasions of every kind!
Drop in before or after dinner and plan to stay as long as you like. Stop by later in the evening after walking the beach or enjoying dinner at the Captiva House restaurant next door. Families with kids and crab race enthusiasts from everywhere, love watching the famous Crab Races scheduled during the week. It’s a good idea to check with the resort Staff to find out what’s planned for any particular evening during your visit.
Many nights, guests are treated to a variety of outstanding live music that is perfectly suited to the upscale but casual, Island setting of the Crow’s Nest. The entertainment changes from night to night and features popular music, the songs everyone remembers and original music from solo artists. When there’s a band we love to “do a little dance” together. When a crowd gathers later in the evening it seems like everyone is dancing and those who prefer, just sit back and take it easy.
The Crow’s News is open until after midnight when it closes and reopens for lunch every day.
Click Here to view the Gulf of Mexico in real time, from the Crow’s Nest Beach Cam located across the street.
Most importantly, enjoy!
A day or two dedicated to just enjoying the Spa at ‘Tween Waters Inn is always an important part of our stay at the resort. Just like you do, we live busy everyday lives that allow little time for simply relaxing. The opportunities to dedicate our time to indulging in a leisurely pace come, few and far between.
So aside from activities at the beach, near the pool, and simply for recreation, entertainment or sitting down to enjoy delectable cuisine, we look forward to spending some quiet time at the Spa. Men don’t have to be shy about having their nails buffed and their feet pampered, and couples can savor relaxing treatments together.
Bridal parties are welcome to book as a group. Both the men and the women in the party can rely on Spa services to spruce up their look. While they may not admit it, the groom and his friends want to look and feel great, too. The ladies usually want their hair and makeup handled by a stylist with the knowledge and experience to provide the most becoming looks possible. Rest assured the ‘Tween Waters Spa staff are experts at organizing the vital care and creativity a bride expects before the ceremony.
Back to everyday reality… I know from experience how terrific my feet feel after a pedicure. When my nails are looking their best I am at my best. Following a professional facial, my face looks and feels wonderful. Time spent at the ‘Tween Waters Spa while relaxing between the beach and bay on beautiful Captiva Island is the finest around. Following a massage, my husband is sure to take a nap. While he rests I have the time to pick up a few items at the resort’s sportswear shop.
Make your appointments with the Spa for massages, haircuts, hair styling, facials and other specialties when you first arrive for your stay. Pick early morning times to start your day out on a cloud, or spend some time at the Spa in the afternoon to get prepped for a memorable night out in an Island setting you won’t forget.
For your convenience, follow this Link to view the Spa Menu. Most importantly, enjoy!